Fort Heber Monuments are located at 100 W 500 N, 100 W 200 N, 300 W 500 N, and 300 W 200 N.
William Davidson, Robert Broadbent and James Davis were already plowing fields when the first party of 20 families arrived from Provo in early spring of 1859. These two groups joined together to build camp.
They surveyed 20-acre plots in the town site of Heber. A fort was built to protect them against American Indians. Homes were built of cottonwood logs and joined to form outside walls of the fort. A schoolhouse was built within the fort. It had two fireplaces and a stage for entertainment. It served as a church and meeting place.
In 1860 the fort was enlarged to house 44 families. A monument was erected by the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers in 1959 and lists the names of the 20 families who spent the first winter of 1859 in Heber Valley, then known as Provo Valley. This monument is located at 550 North Main Street in front of the Smith’s Food & Drug store parking lot.
100 W & 500 N/ 300 W & 500 N/100 W & 200 N Heber City, UT 84032